LEGACY NEIGHBOURHOOD Project Update: Spring/Summer 2023
On May 15, 2023, Kelowna City Council gave First Reading to the rezoning application for the Legacy Neighbourhood, the final 14.1-acre undeveloped parcel of land that is part of the original Kettle Valley Masterplan. If approved, the Legacy Neighbourhood plan will deliver 99 new homes, dedicate close to 50% of the property to public green space and provide a contribution to offsite traffic upgrades for Frost Road. The Public Hearing date for the application has been set for August 15, 2023.
Highlights of the Legacy Neighbourhood Proposal:
- The Legacy Neighbourhood Plan aligns with Kelowna’s Official Community Plan and with the Kettle Valley Masterplan. The proposed housing mix – single family, duplex and townhomes – enables a broader group of future residents to enjoy living in Kettle Valley, while remaining below the originally established 1,028-unit threshold approved in the Masterplan. The Legacy Plan also includes the construction and dedication of nearly 50% of the site as public park while ensuring retail vibrancy within close walking distance of the existing neighbourhood shops, services and transit.
- Transportation Improvements with Frost Road connection. The Village of Kettle Valley, as part of the servicing plan for Legacy Neighbourhood, has agreed to invest $240,000 in the construction of the Frost Road connection to Chute Lake Road, which is a City-led initiative.
- Sustainability supportive with infill housing, existing road and services infrastructure and urban tree canopy all are important factors in achieving sustainability and responding to sprawl. No new major infrastructure (roads and services) is required to accommodate the Legacy Neighbourhood Plan.
- The Legacy Neighbourhood Plan is the result of a robust and highly responsive community engagement process. The Plan directly reflects the ideas, comments and aspirations expressed in 25 community forums since 2016 (including workshops, open houses and more). The Legacy Neighbourhood incorporates the community’s stated desire for a range of housing types, a full-size soccer field, an expansive public realm and a commitment to building heights that preserve the views of the immediate neighbours.
- The Legacy Neighbourhood Plan includes the requested full-size sports field, a major community amenity that is being designed, constructed and dedicated by the Village of Kettle Valley. It will serve both the local neighbourhood and the broader community.
- The Legacy Neighbourhood Plan completes the Village of Kettle Valley to the highest quality standards, the same standards that have accompanied every phase of this master-planned award-winning community. Our commitment to ensuring superior design quality – with the features such as double-loaded sidewalks, tree-lined boulevards, strict architectural controls and the highest per capita park space in Kelowna – will be maintained through the completion of this final piece of the plan.
The Legacy Neighbourhood Planning Team is proud of both the consultation process and the resulting Plan. If you have any questions, or are interested in participating in the upcoming public hearing, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Village of Kettle Valley